Join our Team
At King Harold Academy we are forward thinking. If we don’t have a vacancy now (see below) still send your CV into us (email@example.com) because as opportunities arise in our growing school we will be looking for extraordinary teachers to help .
There are many benefits of working at King Harold Academy. Most importantly we put teacher’s professional development at the forefront of our school development. This is why long ago we changed the school day on a Tuesday so that students leave at 2.30pm. We then have dedicated pedagogy development sessions (which we call Cognition Sessions) where we look at the challenges that teaching brings and how to overcome these; together. In addition to these cognition sessions we also interweave our department meeting times so that there is only ever one meeting a week and this will always finish before 5pm!
- We do not grade lesson observations, rather we give bespoke feedback based upon an agreed focus (as long as it is what we are developing in our teaching.)
- We have streamlined marking by doing “whole class” feedback sheets (see page on assessment) which means teachers spend less time marking and students spend more time reflecting and correcting (and thinking meta-cognitively)
- We meet for breakfast every other week on a Friday where the Senior Leadership Team make everyone toast -This “Teaching on Toast” is a tradition where we eat breakfast and chat about teaching.
- We have cut out unnecessary data analysis and production, for us it is all about spending time the actions from assessment data analysis. We only have three main “data drops” a year.
- We have well-being Wednesdays which includes Staff Yoga!
- Teaching staff do minimal duties – never more than one every other week.
- We are part of The Kemnal Academies Trust as such career opportunities not only present themselves at King Harold but also across our 14 Secondary and 30 Primary schools.
- Our sister school Debden Park High School is only down the road and many of our staff share their time between the two schools.
- We invest in the National Professional Qualifications (NPQ’s) such at the NPQ for Middle and Senior leadership.
- We have a philosophy or working smarter rather than harder, we pride ourselves on being open to suggestions and are not too proud or stuck in our ways to change how we do things.